abroad adj : in a foreign country; "markets abroad"; "overseas markets" [syn: overseas] adv
1 to or in a foreign country; "they had never travelled abroad"
2 far away from home or one's usual surroundings; "looking afield for new lands to conquer"- R.A.Hall [syn: afield]
- At large; widely; broadly; over a wide space; as,
a tree spreads its branches abroad
- The fox roams far abroad - Prior
- Without a certain confine; outside the house; away from one's
abode; as, to walk abroad
- I went to St. James', where another was preaching in the court abroad - Evelyn
- Beyond the bounds of a country; in foreign countries; as, we
have broils at home and
- Another prince ... was living abroad - Macaulay
- Before the public at large; throughout society or the world;
here and there; widely.
- He went out, and began to publish it much, and to blaze abroad the matter. - Mark 1-45
- To be abroad
- To be wide of the mark; to be at fault; as, you are all abroad in your guess.
- To be at a loss or nonplussed.
at large; widely; broadly; over a wide space
without a certain confine; outside the house
beyond the bounds of a country; in foreign countries
- ttbc Esperanto: eksterlande
- ttbc French: à l'étranger
- ttbc Ido: exterlande
- ttbc Interlingua: Al estraniero
- ttbc Italian: all'estero
- ttbc Portuguese: no estrangeiro, além-mar
- ttbc Romanian: in străinătate
- ttbc Spanish: al exterior, ultramar
- ttbc Swedish: utomlands
- ttbc Welsh: tramor
abashed, aberrant, adrift, afield, alfresco, all abroad, all off, all wrong, amiss, askew, astray, at fault, at large, at sea, away, away from home, awry, beside the mark, bewildered, beyond seas, bothered, broadly, clear, clueless, confused, corrupt, deceptive, defective, delusive, deviant, deviational, deviative, discomposed, disconcerted, dismayed, disoriented, distantly and broadly, distorted, distracted, distraught, disturbed, embarrassed, en plein air, errant, erring, erroneous, everywhere, extensively, fallacious, false, far afield, far and near, far and wide, faultful, faulty, flawed, guessing, heretical, heterodox, illogical, illusory, in a fix, in a maze, in a pickle, in a scrape, in a stew, in foreign parts, in the open, infinitely, lost, mazed, nonresident, not in residence, not right, not true, off, off the track, on all sides, on every side, on leave, on sabbatical leave, on the road, on tour, out, out of doors, outdoors, outside, oversea, overseas, peccant, perturbed, perverse, perverted, publicly, put-out, right and left, self-contradictory, straying, turned around, unfactual, unorthodox, unproved, untrue, upset, vastly, wide, widely, without a clue, wrong